Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

On 05/25/2017 2:12 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/25/2017 1:53 PM, dpb wrote:
On 05/25/2017 1:05 PM, dpb wrote:

"The proposed rule would address an estimated 54,800 medically treated
blade-contact injuries annually. The Commission estimates that the
proposed rule’s aggregate net benefits on an annual basis could range
from about $625 million to about $2,300 million."

Now, you're going to be hard pressed to find additional cost of blades
and brakes to overcome $2.3B in predicted benefits.

BTW, that's a range of $11,400 - $42,000 per incident. Needless to
say, they're not counting just a knick and a bandaid in the
statistics, here, altho it surely don't take long to rack up $10K in
an emergency room visit.

--

My share of the cost to close my thumb to half length was $600 + a
couple of plastic surgeons office visits to observe healing and remove

That would probably easily reach $5K now and that might not even touch
it, I'd guess.

The number in all this that floors me as seeming to be just
inconceivable is the 54,800. That's 150/day on a 365-day year, if you
give contractors working 6-day weeks it'd be 175/day, every day! That,
I just can't believe is really so, but I know of no way to refute it
without way more time/effort than have to devote to the task. And, all
I know of is the same database they're quoting, so if it's somehow all
mucked, where's an independent set of data with which to counter...