Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Flipping over turf

On Sat, 13 May 2017 20:36:10 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:51:27 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Thu, 11 May 2017 21:09:27 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Thu, 11 May 2017 20:15:55 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Wed, 10 May 2017 23:02:24 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Nope, because commercial crops quite quickly deplete the
soil of what it once had before used for commercial crops.

That's why the most primitive agriculture is slash and burn,
to use new virgin soil when they havent invented fertiliser.

Exactly, but the same does not apply to house plants.

It does actually. House plant soil has nothing
left in it and just physically holds up the plants.

Yet they do just as well without fertiliser as with it.

That just as well is a pig ignorant lie.

Works for me,

You just said it doesn't with the ones the cat lay on.

Irrelevant to how well they're growing.

They clearly weren't growing properly.

They recovered with or without the fertiliser when they were removed from the area the cat uses.

I guess it depends on how good the soil is.

Guess again.

So you have no input then.

You never do.

I just told you my experience of house plants.

I've bought parts from hydroponics suppliers for
other
uses.

Yeah, growing the MJ crop.

Actually a cooling system for bitcoin machines.

Corse you would say that...

MJ doesn't need such things.

It does grow well with hydroponics.

What's the advantage of hydroponics over soil?

Easier to completely automate. Plants don't actually
need soil, just something to put the roots into so they
don't fall over etc. We used rockwool or scoria or even
nothing at all with some plants like tomatoes that are
staked for other reasons.

Why does soil stop automation?

It doesn't, but it's a lot easier to automate with
hydroponics.

Why?

With soil you have to sterilise it periodically, kill the
nematodes
etc.

With hydroponics, flush the water down the drain and start with
new
water.

Surely the bacteria in the soil is what gives the plant
nutrients,
like
nitrogen compounds.

Sure, but there is other stuff like nematodes that **** the
plants.

Only thing I've had ****ing a plant are scale insects.

But you don't do commercial crops.

How dot he crops know they're going to be sold?

They don't need to.

Then what is the difference?

The difference is the much higher intensity
use of the area with commercial crops.

Exactly, so you don't need fertiliser for houseplants, like I said.

Depends on the plant. Some do a lot better when fertilised.

All mine are fine without.

Irrelevant to what does better with fertiliser.

So the ten different plants I have all happen to be ones that don't need it?

--
Connecticut police are investigating a string of shootings where clues are reportedly contained in a rap CD.
They are also questioning Bob Marley about the shooting of a sheriff.