Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones[_3_] Chris Jones[_3_] is offline

Default Metcal handpiece

On 25/05/2017 17:35, N_Cook wrote:
On 24/05/2017 21:31, Boris Mohar wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 12:13:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:32:35 AM UTC-7, Boris Mohar wrote:
Greetings!

My MX500 handpiece went open in the handle. Does anybody know how
to take it
apart?

--
Boris

---

You don't. You bite the bullet and buy a new one. There's a new one
on eBay for $77 or you can go to Mouser for $104.25.

I use my Metcal quite a bit and am still on the same handpiece for 15
years but I do have a shiny new handpiece "just in case". Also, my
Metcal was bought used on eBay.

Actually I just managed to take it apart. I applied compressed
air to the
tip entrance and the guts popped out like a champagne cork.

I'll have to remember that, for the next plastic superglue/welded box I
come across

You open those by tapping them with the plastic handle of a screwdriver,
working along the seam. A long time ago mikeselectricstuff showed how to
do it on his youtube channel. I can't remember which video. The
technique works very well.