Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

Wow Robert, you really are not familiar with the SS at all it would
seem.
Replacing the brake takes a couple of minutes. Have you not seen a
demo?
As far as not having a spare replacement brake goes, why would you
not have
one on hand? Would you drive out of town with out a spare tire? :-)

I'll take a shot at that:

Job site saws will be used by workers who may not know how to, and aren't
responsible for, fixing equipment when it breaks down. The job site
could be
a workshop or a construction site.

In the case of a construction site, it's easy to imagine that the
replacment parts
and/or qualified personnel may not always be readily available.

In either case, the replacment parts had better be under lock and key
or they are
going to be stolen by the workers who have brake-mandated table saws
at home.

You all make good points. I've seen many safety devices disconnected
and procedures ignored. You may open a safety gate to slick out a piced
of crap in a mold, but I've never seen anyone lock out and tag out to
do that, as required. There will be a lot of problems in independent
shops, but you will get good compliance in utilities and places that are
hard ass on safety and compliance.

The independent shops will comply after the first saw accident,
especially if OSHA is notified.

Uh Huh.