Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Goodbye Radio Shack

On Thu, 25 May 2017, wrote:

My single experience with R/S "Lifetime" tubes does deserve mention. For
a few years I worked in Saudi Arabia - and lived in Al Khobar, near the
causeway to Bahrain. As we had a 'multiple' visa, we would visit Bahrain
about every other weekend for unrestricted shopping and for the many
interesting sights and sites. One of the locations visited was the Seef
Mall, wherein was a Radio Shack.

I brought a couple of tube-type TransOceanics, and of all things found a
Dynaco FM3 at a used electronics souk near Qatif. So, I had some tube
stuff. In any case, a 1U4 in my B600 developed an open filament, and it
was a R/S Lifetime tube. So, on a whim, I took to to the Radio Shack at
the Seef Mall.

The manager looked at it, said "Yes, Sir", and about 3 weeks later, a
new 1U4 arrived. No warranty on the replacement, but it was good, and I
did not have to pay anything. Service with a smile. This was in 2004.

I remember you telling that story years ago.

I suspect that tube use diminished so much that it didn't cost Radio Shack
much to honor the warranty on the tubes, because hardly anyone showed up
after some point. Between people not bothering, people not knowing, and
people not using tube equipment, there was a small pool remaining.

Michael