Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Modern car rear lights!

On 5/24/2017 9:45 PM, NY wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
On 5/24/2017 8:57 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
To hi-jack this thread slightly, it seems to me that the indicators on
many modern cars are significantly less visible, especially off-axis,
than those of older vehicles. Being positioned very close to bright
LED running lights does not help in other cases, too (so dimming these
seems an excellent idea to me).

VW Golfs of recent vintage are terrible for visibility of indicators:
the front ones are placed close to the headlights and the back ones are
right next to the brake lights. Gone are the days when you had a side
light / indicator cluster that was totally separate from the headlights
- maybe within or underneath the bumpers.

I'm surprised that various countries haven't collectively mandated more
stringent Construction and Use regulations which require the indicator
to be as far as possible from any other source of bright light
(headlight/DRL at front, brake/fog at rear), and returning to the old
days of function being more important than style.

I too think that modern cars' indicators are far less conspicuous,
especially in daylight when the light reflected off the clear "glass" of
the cluster makes it harder to see the slightly brighter "on" phase of
the flashing light.

Glad it is not just me!

Perhaps what we need is some sort of European Union where collective
benefits (like USB charging on phones) can be worked out

:-)