Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Goodbye Radio Shack

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
On Wed, 24 May 2017, Ian Field wrote:

wrote in message
It's official. Radio Shack is closing their doors. The nearest store to
me (in a big city about 60 miles away), is having a "going out of
business sale". Yesterday it was 80% off almost everything. But there
was little left to choose from.

A few months ago I found a Radio Shack calculator dropped on the ground
by some recycling bins.

Its an old retro LED job and the = button needs a convincing jab to
work - but it has a proper on/off slide switch that doesn't get knocked
on in my jacket pocket.

I'd forgotten about the days of slide switches to turn calculators on and
off.

Though, the TI30 I got in 1976 or so used two pushbuttons for on and off.

And most of the calculators I've had since have had solar power, so I
never worried about whether they were on or off.

I have a Casio solar with no battery at all - its allegedly collectible, so
I took the opportunity to put it somewhere safer than my jacket pocket.