Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Goodbye Radio Shack

On Wed, 24 May 2017 07:49:59 -0500, Chuck wrote:

Radio Shack, by the late 60s, had stores in Boston and Portland Maine. Tandy bought
them and a few years later bought Allied which was out of Chicago.

It's crazy how businesses merge and re-merge, and unmerge. The only
connection that Tandy had with Radio Shack was that both were for
hobbiests. (Entirely different hobbies).

Allied Radio is gone, but Allied Electronics remains today (their
commercial business).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_Electronics

Since I was on Wiki, I looked up Radio Shack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RadioShack

It's a long article and quite interesting. As technology changed, so did
R.S. (This article is worth reading).

In that article it says that May 31, 2017 is the official closing date
for most stores (except private ones_.

That confirms it.