Posted to rec.woodworking

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 10:07:07 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They won't bother the consumer, but workmans comp insurance companies
have been pressuring commercial shops for a few years already.

VERY true. I had a talk with my insurance guy that handles my commercial account, and he told me that "IF" I had a table saw, that didn't have "bladestopping technology", I might be facing higher premiums. Not a problem for me since no one works out of a shop with my business.

But my cabinet man at the time told me his insurance went up because he didn't have any blade stopping mechanism.

My buddy that teaches industrial arts (shop) was required by the district to get a SawStop saw about three years ago. The other saws were deemed to dangerous. Not a bad idea around 15-18 year old knot heads. I had secured the purchase of the existing Delta saw, vintage mid 60s, for a couple of hundred bucks. It was a rebuild in every sense, but I have couple of connections for that. In the end, they didn't sell it to me, but sold the whole thing to a metal scrap yard. The purchaser for the district told me they didn't want the implied liability of selling a tool so dangerous that they were required to get rid of it.

Sigh.

Robert