Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default plumbers putty

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 10:02:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:35:18 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 5/23/2017 7:26 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

Is Plumber's Putty drinking water safe, or should you
only use it on waste water lines?

Many thanks,
-T

It is safe for direct drinking water contact if it contains NSF
certification.

Plumbers putty contains various components some of which may not be
certified for food contact but could be used for things like drain seals
where water is disposed and not consumed.

OP said he wants to use it on the exhaust line of a swamp cooler..

in which case the putty will probably be the safest thing in the water.

If it is in the "water" exit line, then it won't even get into the air.

I'd say you are overthinking this

AGree, it's fine for that. At first I couldn't imagine what he was
going to use it for, because "plumbers putty" and "drinking water"
does not compute. But now that we know he drinks his swamp cooler
water, that explains everything.