Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

On 05/24/2017 9:01 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:

I've read only a tiny portion of the 431 pages, but have not yet seen
any mention of restricting the sale or use of existing saws.

Well, I've not read it all but there are two copies in slightly
differing formats so it's "only" about 200+ pp...

AFAICT, this isn't actually the rule; just the background to try to
justify making one.

The rule being proposed appears to just be the hotdog test must be
3.5mm at 1 m/s and while they admit there's nothing now available other
than SS or Bosch that does it, they say since it's only the performance
that they're mandating that doesn't count.

They do then go on to allow as how SS has been aggressive in protecting
what they've claimed as patent infringement by Bosch that if Gass wins
they're providing a monopoly position going forward. Again, that didn't
seem to bother them too much with weasel-words that amount to being
certain SS will "play nice" with their competitors.

The tail end provides a lot of caveats of alternatives on applicability
that _could_ make the rule apply so that a manufacturer would have to
only have one model available that meets the rule or could have tools
intended for professional use that are exempt and several other
alternatives as well...