Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default [Power] "Next generation utility wins contract for UK's biggest battery"

Maybe its cheaper just to flood old mines and use turbines to generate power
then pump them out when there is little demand. Is it any less efficient
than a bleedin big battery which needs to then be converted to AC in any
case?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:24:48 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

"Demand response software start-up Limejump has won the contract to
manage the energy storage facility dubbed 'Britain's biggest battery' by
project developer UK Power Networks"

"Located in Leighton Buzzard, the 6 MW Network Storage Facility has been
developed to help support the growing amount of intermittent renewable
power sources on the grid"

http://www.powerengineeringint.com/a...xt-generation-
utility-wins-contract-for-uk-s-biggest-battery.html

or http://tinyurl.com/m45plc6

One can't help wondering how many of these battery banks are needed to
actually make a significant contribution to the grid. 6MW, 10MWh, so
6MW for ~90 minutes supply before it's flat, as they point out.
Assuming an average UK daily consumption of 35GW, i.e 840,000MWh, we'd
need 84,000 of these battery banks to keep us going for a day, if we
were relying entirely on wind and sunshine and TWDB&TSDS etc. I doubt
it's realistic to think that wind and sun would ever be the only
sources of supply, but it does suggest we'd need a helluvalot of
batteries to be really useful.

--

Chris