Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Default Goodbye Radio Shack

On Tue, 23 May 2017 16:15:39 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2017 17:04:56 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 5/23/2017 1:29 PM,
wrote:
This is a sad day..... Radio Shack is the last of the old
electronics stores

Radio Shack was NEVER an old time radio store.
Except maybe back in the '50s before Tandy Leather bought
them.

They sold predominately cheap import stuff.
Middle management was draconian at best. Always grinding
on the store managers to meet constantly changing quotas.
No amount of mismanagement or corporate greed could save
them.

Most of the components seemed to be low quality.

The manager of the local store 40 years ago had a major complaint with
the company. Whatever was on sale, the company would ship him many of
the items. He had an alotment of so many dollars. He may wind up with
half of that in antennas that he could not sell, but could not order
many of the items he could sell.

Even back in the 1970's I almost never bought anything from them in the
parts line. They did sell a few nice large items. Bought one of the
Model 3 TRS 80 computers from them, and a nice police scanner.

One part I seem to find that is more often than not, the correct size,
are those stereo 1/8th inch plugs that plug into a computer or MP3
player. They almost always seem to be a sloppy fit and get noisy because
of loose fitting.

I bought several cheap ones on ebay and they were all crappy (from
several sellers). I bought a Radio Shack one on Ebay for 3 times the
price of those cheap ones and it fit perfectly. The seller had 3 left. I
bought all of them, even at $6 a piece. I dont know why no one else can
make them things to fit properly, but I was happy to find some that did
fit and not annoy me with crappy sound.

Back in the day, when we had Radio Shack in Canada, MOST of their
product was middle of the road or better. A lot of their stuff was
REALLy good stuff.