Posted to rec.woodworking

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

On Mon, 22 May 2017 21:29:00 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 9:44:00 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2017...ules-tablesaws
--
Jeff

I saw that too. I don't have any objections to having safe table saws. I just cannot figure out how they could require a patented product for this safety. A device with no patent, like seatbelts when they were required in the 70s or whenever, sure. Or airbags and anti lock brakes. Yes, no patents when required. But a patented product while it is still under patent? Unless the safety requirement would remove the existing patent and make it free for anyone to use.

The pertinent patents don't have much longer to run (the broad ones
run out in 1999 or 2000, IIRC). It's going to kill the low-end saws
but I no longer see a big issue with "woodworker's" saws. Time heals
all Gass. ;-)