Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1/16" drill bit won't fit a 1/2" chuck

On Mon, 22 May 2017 22:25:04 -0700, mike wrote:

I've been culling my collection of crap.
Decided to reduce the number of incompatible
cordless tools and dead batteries.

I bought one of the Ryobi 1/2" lithium drill kits.
I don't need 1/2", but that's what was on sale.
I never drill big holes, but I often drill small ones.

It was an online deal, so I couldn't inspect it beforehand.
I shot myself in the foot.
The 1/2" chuck won't close on a 1/16" bit.
Only reasonably priced solution I've found is
a bit with a 1/4" hex shank. There are a bunch
of issues with that.

Only thing I can think of is to cut a slit in
some 1/16" ID brass tubing. That oughta be good
enough. I can always use a different 3/8" drill if
necessary.

So, how can I cut a NARROW slit in a section of 1/16" ID
brass tubing?
I have a .025" Dremel cutoff wheel, but by the time
I get done by hand, I expect there won't be much brass left.

I have some
1/8" shank NC drill bits, but they're extremely fragile.
I'd break 'em in an instant with a hand drill.

I have a Dremel chuck with a 1/8" shank, but by the time
I stack all that up, the tip of the drill bit is WAY out there.

Other options that don't involve buying a new drill
or a new chuck or a $25 drill bit?

Get a 1/4" chuck, mount it on an arbour, and chuck it in the half inch
drill. It will make it clumsy, but a half inch drill is WAY too
clumsey, and way too slow, for a 1/16" bit anyway.

I think I smell a troll- - -