Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Forces in a gambrel roof

On 5/23/2017 4:58 PM, T i m wrote:
wrote:
On 5/23/2017 2:02 PM, T i m wrote:
Are there any countries where basements are the norm? You seem to see
them quite a lot on American based films?

_Every_ house I've lived in, in the US, had a basement. One of them
flooded badly a few times.

So, did you still use it and if so what? Was there something that was
done to stop it flooding or was it just a matter of pumping it out
(automatic pump possibly)?

We put everything important up on platforms. Lots of pumping, and a
dehumidifier. The washer, dryer, boiler, hot water cylinder and main
freezer live down there.
Our place in Scotland has no basement. I miss the extra space, but I
don't miss dealing with wet messes.