Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default 1/16" drill bit won't fit a 1/2" chuck

On 5/23/2017 11:42 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2017 18:51:08 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 23/05/17 06:25, mike wrote:
I've been culling my collection of crap.
Decided to reduce the number of incompatible
cordless tools and dead batteries.

I bought one of the Ryobi 1/2" lithium drill kits.
I don't need 1/2", but that's what was on sale.
I never drill big holes, but I often drill small ones.

It was an online deal, so I couldn't inspect it beforehand.
I shot myself in the foot.
The 1/2" chuck won't close on a 1/16" bit.
Only reasonably priced solution I've found is
a bit with a 1/4" hex shank. There are a bunch
of issues with that.

Only thing I can think of is to cut a slit in
some 1/16" ID brass tubing. That oughta be good
enough. I can always use a different 3/8" drill if
necessary.

So, how can I cut a NARROW slit in a section of 1/16" ID
brass tubing?
I have a .025" Dremel cutoff wheel, but by the time
I get done by hand, I expect there won't be much brass left.

I have some
1/8" shank NC drill bits, but they're extremely fragile.
I'd break 'em in an instant with a hand drill.

I have a Dremel chuck with a 1/8" shank, but by the time
I stack all that up, the tip of the drill bit is WAY out there.

Other options that don't involve buying a new drill
or a new chuck or a $25 drill bit?

Sounds like you need to buy a pin chuck, 3rd item down on this page
http://www.productsengineering.com/m...pinchucks.html .

Assuming his drill press will go faster than 1800 rpm..yes, that will
work. If it tops out at 700-800....he is screwed.

---

You guys are missing the point entirely.
The question was not about how to drill the optimum hole in the most
difficult material.
It was about how to drill ANY hole at all. Brass tubing met that
requirement.