Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

On 5/23/2017 11:16 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 10:22:53 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

What am I missing?

The proposed ruling is only for demo purposes, not actual use, NO?

What was written,

The proposal requires that table saws limit the depth of cut to 3.5
millimeters when a stand-in for a human finger (a hot dog is
commonly used) contacts the spinning blade while approaching at 1
meter per second.

I think the author missed the point, I read this as a guide line
for demonstration purposes only.

Once again, **** poor writing and expression are at fault. When I
read what you post, I re-read the article posted as appearing in Fine
Homebuilding once more. I can easily see how it could be read that
the proposal is for demonstration purposes only.

Idiots!

But reading the draft of the proposed regulation, it is obvious that
the hot dog method is used as a base line testing mechanism,
/simulating/ a finger or other human flesh contact. Fine
Homebuilding's sloppy ambiguity is just laziness.

Yes! Click on the links to get to the actual proposal. The author put
the actual proposal as a foot note and not as the thesis of the story.