Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default 1/16" drill bit won't fit a 1/2" chuck

mike wrote:

So, how can I cut a NARROW slit in a section of 1/16" ID
brass tubing?
I have a .025" Dremel cutoff wheel, but by the time
I get done by hand, I expect there won't be much brass left.

Well, You could use an X-acto saw, although it would wear the blade (their
blades are really soft). You could reshape an old X-acto blade into a
skiving tool, Put an old drill shank in the tubing and hold it in a vise for
the procedure. To fashion a skiving tool (my own word for it) you use a
bench stone and make the X-acto blade like a tiny chisel blade. It only
takes about 30 seconds to reshape the end of a worn-out blade. Then, you
run the blade down the brass, using the vise jaw as a guide. It will take
1-2 minutes to cut through to the drill shank, and you should get a very
narrow slit. You swipe the blade "backwards" with the straight edge of the
blade at right angles to the brass. it will bring up little curls as it
cuts through.

Wish I could show this being done, it is easier to show than describe.

Jon