Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing Machine Surge Protector

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 12:45:04 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 11:22:26 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 6:36:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 16:21:04 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 3:46:18 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
One of the TV home improvement show electricians recommended using a
surge protector with current model clothes washers as they have so much
electronics controlling the wash cycle.

Most of the surge protectors I looked at spec an 1875 watt capacity. I
can't find any info on my machine's current draw and wonder if one of
those surge protectors would be OK or would it get fried?

Machine is LG 1201CW.

--
€œYou cannot push anyone up the ladder unless he is willing to climb.€
- Andrew Carnegie

Put a good whole house one in at the panel to protect all the stuff that's only connected to just AC. TV, etc that are connected to cable, phone, etc should have additional plug in protection that all those lines go through.

I can't believe that in the 21st century, manufacturers won't put a
couple of 10 cent MOVs in their machines. Throw in a ferrite bead or
two and you have a surge protector.

Most of the electronic equipment and appliances I've worked on had MOV's and ferrite chokes in the switching power supply connection to the power input. The problem is, the manufacturers don't usually use components that can take more than mild surges before exploding and needing to be replaced. The more expensive gear often has better components that can be hammered a number of times before failing. The better equipment will have a separate fuse holder or one built into the IEC connector in front of the built in surge protection but I would often find a 30 amp fuse or an aluminum foil wrapped fuse in the fuse holder in the gear I had to repair. Many of my dumpster rescues only needed a soldered in/on fuse replaced to get them working again. Back in the 90's, I used to get a lot of expensive PC motherboards from the trash that needed only a soldered on fuse replaced. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

I remember reading about the DOD doing studies of how to protect electronic equipment from power surges due to EMP from a nuclear weapon blast and the research showed that cascading protective devices would protect the equipment. Protective devices are installed where power enters a facility, at all distribution panels and at each piece of equipment. Here in Alabamastan, the power company will install a surge protector between the meter and socket for a small monthly fee and they guarantee it. I don't know the details because I haven't dealt with them lately. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.cepro.com/article/the_myt...ge_protection/

[8~{} Uncle Surge Monster

There is a lot wrong in that link, starting with that most surges that
one needs to be concerned about originate inside the house. If that
were the case then the hundreds of millions of homes with no surge protection
at all would be having all kinds of failures from things within the
house. The damaging surges occur almost always from outside, ie
lightning, power line problems, etc.

High frequency electronic noise causes problems. My surge protectors also filter noise coming and going. The least expensive surge protector I have would cost $100 if I had to replace it. I salvaged a lot of good used protectors when I was servicing and installing telecom and data networks. I have some that are just noise filters. Everything has a switching power supply in it these days and cheap equipment puts a lot of noise on the power line. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Noisy Monster