Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave[_68_] Dave[_68_] is offline

Default Rail & Stile for outdoor use?

All,

I have been asked to make a wood planter out of cedar. The plans call
for using the legs as styles, a top and bottom rail are connected to the
legs (stiles) using pocket screws. The 1-in. cedar boards are used as
panels. To see an example, go to:
https://www.amazon.com/Cedarlooks-31.../dp/B000IXL364

Here are my questions:
1. Are pocket screws a good choice to use on outdoor projects? They
will attach the rails to the legs (stiles), the top frame to the box,
and are used inside to create a bottom. M & T joints are better I'm
sure, but take longer. Comments?

2. Is it wise to use rail & stile outdoors since moisture will collect
in the bottom rail with no good way to get rid of it? I suppose weep
holes could be drilled in the bottom rails, but I really doubt the
effectiveness of that, not to mention the time. Comments?

Another cedar planter design that may not have the moisture/rotting
problem is at:
https://www.hardwarestore.com/127287...14-1-2-sp17861
However, it was not the choice...

Thanks,