Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Emergence of Re-leavers

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
James Harris wrote:
In article ,
James Harris wrote:
But once we are free of the EU and certainty returns the pound will
likely rise. Once out of the customs union we will be able to reduce
import tariffs to bring down the cost of imported goods - especially
those we don't produce here. That would reduce the cost of living that
the EU artificially inflates just now - and has done for decades. Its
protectionism hurts all of us as consumers.

You *really* think any UK government would allow all imports tarrif
free? Then say goodbye to what little remains of UK industry.

I didn't say _all_ tariffs would be reduced. We could reduce tariffs on
things we don't produce here. (We might or might not. That would be up
to the government to manage but they would have been given the choice
which they don't have now.)

And other countries put tariffs on the things they produce.

Not much anymore. The current approach is to have free trade instead.

You really must understand the UK can't
demand free access to its goods, etc.

No one said they could.

Despite what many seem to think.

Have fun listing even a single individual who
has ever said anything even remotely like that.

It's why such things are thrashed out in a trade agreement.
And why they take so long to agree.

Nope, its much more often due to deciding what will
be included in the new trade agreement and what wont.

And other detail like the **** the US attempts to have in theirs.