Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Forces in a gambrel roof

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 22/05/2017 09:50, Tim Watts wrote:
Very hypothetical...

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Gambrel-Roof

How strong is that? There must be some not insignificant spreading
forces going through those gusset plates.

Its probably stronger than a straight rafter design in some respects
since you are approximating a more "arch like" design.

The construction method is similar to my ply on oak framed boat, which
uses 2 gusset plates at each joint epoxy glued and copper riveted
through.

What surprises me is why the longitudinal ridge piece (I don't know
names of building components) is not one or more long pieces of wood
notched into the frames at the ridge. The graphics show short lengths
fitted between each frame with no indication of what holds them in
place.
--
Bill