Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Combi or not combi - help!

On Sun, 21 May 2017 21:49:43 +0100, DJC wrote:

On 20/05/17 21:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/05/2017 18:38, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 20 May 2017 13:35:45 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

[snip]

I installed a combi boiler (Worcester Bosch) last year and I am a bit
disappointed with it.

24kW by any chance?

(makes for dismal bath filling - but will do a "twice as good as the
best electric" shower)

The water takes a while to heat up when using Eco mode. I mostly run
without Eco mode (pre-heat is capable of being programmed) so I assume
I am using extra energy to save water.

Not much value in ECO mode really - it only fires fairly infrequently to
temper its small store of hot water.

I found the pre-heat function useless, so prefer 'eco mode' anyway.
Without pre-heat (eco mode): turn on tab, wait for cool water to clear
dead leg, wait a bit longer for water to heat. Turn off tap, turn it on
to top up a while later; warm water in dead leg, then shot of too-hot
water that has been sitting in boiler, then cold as fresh water enters
the boiler before it has fired, wait for water to reach full tempreture.

With pre-heat there is always that slug of overheated water sitting in
the boiler.

I was persuaded to install Combisave. It appears to cut down the
amount of water wasted but whether it saves energy I don't know. Any
ideas?