Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupidity of design. Rant Warning!

On Sun, 21 May 2017 15:52:13 -0600, Del Gue wrote:

On 5/21/2017 3:38 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 21 May 2017 14:56:53 -0600, Del Gue wrote:

On 5/21/2017 2:20 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 21 May 2017 10:05:06 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 17 May 2017 09:58:13 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 15 May 2017 10:07:27 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I actually snapped a Tawanese 15/16, 1/2" drive socket last Thursday.
Id had it for years. Putting the breaker bar and then sliding the 6
foot snipe on it and then bouncing, while hanging from it with my feet
18" off the floor finally discovered its breaking point. Shrug

It's a good thing you didn't abuse it. =:-0 BTW, why weren't you
using a pneumatic impact (aka: zip) gun, either 1/2" or 3/4", hmmm?

So I grabbed one of my Craftsman sockets out of the other tool box and
broke the bolt free, while doing the same thing. Though..come to
think on it..the busted one was a 12 point, while the Craftsman was a
6 point.

They've always apparently been made of tougher steel.

Why didnt I use an impact drive? I didnt have one with me. Shrug

Lots of times Im working in places that either dont have air close by,
or its a one off that 30 minutes of dragging out air lines, adapters
and whatnot, just to bust one nut/bolt isnt time/cost effective.

---
Just used an electric impact for the first time to do a "serious"
job. My brother is replacing suspension components and brakes on his
travel trailer, and needed to dissassemble the shackles. One was
particularly troublesome so he asked for my help. I held the wrench on
the bolt while he hit on the nut with the impact. The action of
theimpact was so violent I could not hold the wrench - unlike when
using the air impact. The nut refused to turn on the bolt, but I put
the wrench against the jack stand and let it hammer a few times and it
broke the bolt off cleanly. Not bad for a $60 canadian impact wrench
from China (about $40 US)

Just a thought, why not torch the bolt and then torque it off?

Plastic bushings,

Urethane maybe?

and I would have had to drive across town to get my
torch.We were replacing the shackle bolts anyway.

I always change out bushings - glad it worked out.

Just changing the equalizer on the tandem suspension.