Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi or not combi - help!

On 21/05/17 22:00, Vir Campestris wrote:
My son has a combi in his flat.

When you turn the tap on it takes an _age_ to get hot water - the boiler
has to heat up first,

Many WBs have a preheat mode which keeps everything upto the plate
exchanger hot.

then hot water starts running down the pipe, then
you get hot. But not very - looks like peak power on the boiler won't
feed the kitchen tap on full. Likely a fault.

And you'll need a pretty powerful one to get bath flow rates out of a
combi. Showers are good though.

We have a tank.

When our boiler goes wrong we'll put the immersion heater on to have a
hot bath or shower. There can be no immersion in a combi.

Thought of that - I'll keep my inline heater with valving to isolate the
boiler and enable the heater. It's 10kW but we've run off that for some
time now. Fills a bath in 20-30 minutes (summer vs winter). Needs a
little forethought, but quite workable.

Our shower is fine - gravity fed, and downstairs. Upstairs we'd need a
pump. And we can run a bath full as fast as the tap will go.

Andy