Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Twin flourescent, both flickering

Those series systems were a load of old rubbish not to be touched by a barge
pole. I had one of those for little tubes in a rostrum camera CCTV magnifier
which had a transistor ballast. In the end had to fit two one for each tube
due to it just not coming on sometimes.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Saturday, 20 May 2017 16:54:53 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
On 20/05/17 16:44, Phil L wrote:

Is there a starter? - 35p each, I'd try this first

Thought the same, done that.

So you've got switchstart fittings. Then it's wrong starters, bad tubes or
bad contacts. The capacitor can't cause this. Swapping over to LED won't
gain a lot. If it's a series fitting, one fault somewhere will cause both to
misbehave. 2' is likely to be series, 5' isn't. Series fittings require 110
starters. For any fitting the starter must cover the wattage of the lamp, so
no use using a 80-105W starter on a 20W lamp.

NT