Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Combi or not combi - help!

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/05/17 13:56, Phil L wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mate, the combi I have here currently wont even supply enough hot
water to drive ONE hot tap, bath or shower.,

All this proves is that you have low mains pressure

Compltely and utterly wrong

main pressure is about 8 bar

what i have is a combi that cant heat water fast enough and has
minuscule hott water store

You need a proper combi then, mines a crap make 'Biasi' and you can't hold
your hand under the hot tap when it's on full flow. The boiler is about
25-28kw and the DHW is set to about 60

Bite the bullet and do the proper job, Mains pressure hot water tank
fed from whatever boiler you have and if in a hard water area all
fed via a pukka ion exchange softener.

Then never have a hot water shortage ever again

Yes, cos storing hot water in a tank until you use it is better than
having it on demand.

Correct.

Storing a bathful of hot water in the loft overnight is better than filling
a bath and getting in?

My combi is ten years old, never been serviced and supplies
continuous hot (hard) water every time the tap is turned on,
likewise the mixer shower, which is powerful enough to actually hurt
if it's on full.

no, it doesn't unless yu have around 50Kw rating

26-28 kw and I can half fill the bath if I put the plug in during a shower

No water softener ever been in this house
To the OP, get a combi if you have reasonable mains pressure, if it
comes out of the tap like someone having a ****, go the other option

oh the water comes out aright. Cold

work out how big a combi needs to be to say dump 400 litres a minute
of water at 60 degrees

Why on earth would you need 800 pints of hot water in 60 seconds?

I can fill the bath in about 5 minutes and it's too hot to get in until I've
run the cold into it for a few minutes

then work out how much more expensive that is than a small boiler
with a mains pressure hot water tank

then do the sensible thng

You've obviously had a non functioning combi. I've recently finished work on
four three storey detatched newbuild houses and all of them have a WB 30kw
boiler installed on the middle floor, each one supplies a kitchen, four
showers and four basins and one bath. No problems with any of them