Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus31415 Ignoramus31415 is offline

Default [VIDEO] I had an interesting fail -- steel cabinet collapsedand fell

On 2017-05-19, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
On May 19, 2017, Ignoramus17154 wrote
(in ):

On 2017-05-19, Jon wrote:
Ignoramus13612 wrote:

This cabinet had been in my shop for something like four years and its
load did not change much. It sat by the door. Then one day it suddenly
collapsed, totally unprovoked, probably due to high winds.

https://youtu.be/UGNT6i8AIGk

Kind of amazing, **** happens when you expect it the least.

Well, that is a little unusual, as it had a steel back, not the typical 4
verticals with just a couple cross braces. I've had a few of those either
fail completely, or start to show signs of twisting, and I readjusted the
cross braces to resist the twist. Your cabinet clearly twisted also as the
first part of the collapse.

Yes, i saw how it twisted a second before failing.

I would never have thought that it could be possible.

I???d bet on a busted spot weld or a missing fastener or two. With a
rectangular back panel, all four corners must have bolts, or a twist is
likely.

Joe

I still have the cabinet laying in my yard. I will take a look.