Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi or not combi - help!

On 20/05/17 13:35, Terry Casey wrote:
I note it says in the wiki that: "I need a new one, what should I get!" comes
up in some form almost every day on uk.d-i-y, but couldn't find enough
information to clench the deal, one way or the other.

My wife and I are living in a two bedroomed bungalow - there's nobody else
living there except the cat! The central heating is old - if the pencilled
date on the back of the controller I replaced recently is anything to go by
it dates from 1996.

Does it work though?

We had a quote recently from a local plumber who advocated a combi - which
I've always been convinced from various things I've read (probably here) that
they can be problematic - but he said that modern combis are much better than
their predecessors and would be highly suited to our needs. He also pointed
out that he has a combi in his 4 bedroom property and has no problems with
it.

He has a deal with comnbi supplires.

We then got another quote from someone who is clearly prejudiced against
combis! Apart from additional strain on the old pipework - which we are well
aware of - he said that the increased pressure can damage the non-return
valve in dual fill washing machines (ours is currently a dual-fill Hotpoint)
but that we wouldn't be able to run hot water from two taps at the same time!

Well thats ******** too.

This could be a worry if we couldn't wash our hands (or whatever) every time
the washing machine was filling or the other is running a bath. Can this
really be true?

Mate, the combi I have here currently wont even supply enough hot water
to drive ONE hot tap, bath or shower.,

Quote No. 1 includes an Ideal Logic+ 30kW boiler whilst No. 2 is for a
Worcester Bosch 15ri boiler. No. 1 includes quotes for both combi and non
combi options (but does give any indication of which non-combi boiler would
be fitted) and No. 2, as might be expected, doesn't have a second option!

How do these boilers compare - assume No. 1 would use a non-combi version of
the same boiler?

All comments gratefully received!

Terry

Bite the bullet and do the proper job, Mains pressure hot water tank fed
from whatever boiler you have and if in a hard water area all fed via a
pukka ion exchange softener.

Then never have a hot water shortage ever again

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell