Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Removing defective switch from PCB

bitrex wrote:

I have a Behringer EQ that has a bad front panel switch. It looks to be
a standard 3 pin SPDT type, surrounded by a metal bracket that holds it
fast to the PCB.

I've been having a lot of difficulty removing it from this PCB with
plated-through holes for replacement; it's resisted all my attempts to
pry it out using an iron/solder sucker or solder wick. I don't own a hot
air station unfortunately - any tips here?

One possible way is to break the switch apart, so that you can remove each
pin separately. The metal housing might need to be sawed or filed until the
mounting pins are separated, then pluck each with tweezers while heating
with soldering iron. Then, break the plastic parts and extract the contacts
the same way. This may be the best way to avoid damaging the board.

Jon