Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Just imagine... a BUILDING, made of WOOD!!

On Fri, 19 May 2017 22:04:33 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/19/17 9:58 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 19:21:09 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/19/17 5:50 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 10:49:54 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/18/17 11:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 7:57:52 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2017 15:39:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott
Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

Well yes I am, but seriously, this came over my LinkedIn
feed today, and is pretty cool. Newly-developed,
major commercial in Minneapolis. 7 stories, 238,000
Sq. Ft. Thought I'd share.

"The foundation, core, and ground floor are
concrete, but the rest of the seven-story structure
is timber, making it the largest timber building in
North America."

Good marketting PR speak, but factually untrue. The
largest timber building in NA would be one of the
blimp hangers the Navy built in WW2, of which half a
dozen still exist. They are about 10 times as large
as this new building.

The hanger for the USS Macon (1933 Moffett Field) has a
steel structure, which is currently quite obvious when
one drives by, since the outer skin has been removed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangar..._California%29

The Goodyear Airdock (1929) is also steel structure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_Airdock

My family and I had the pleasure of taking off from and
landing in the field next to the Goodyear Airlock. Guess
what we were flying in?

The Goodyear Blimp!

It was one of the coolest things I've ever done.

We lived in the Akron area for a year. Goodyear Blimps
flew around the area all the time.

Didja every get a free ride? :-)

One cool part is to feel them power up to land. Obviously,
they have to force them to go down.

(As a kid I used to see them over NYC all the time. Never
imagined that I'd ever get to go up in one)

Your worlds are colliding, now, DerbyDad. The Soap Box Derby
in Akron is held just across the field from the Goodyear Blimp
hangar. You can go on google maps and see how close they are.

The Goodyear blimp hangar isn't in Akron. It's in Mogadore, OH,
about 20-30 miles East of Akron. It's at the Wingfoot country
club. ;-) The old blimp hangar is now owned by Lockheed Martin
(where I worked when I was in Akron). they were doing some work
on RADAR blimps for the DD and Homeland there but I can't
remember if they were actually using the old blimp hangar.

The hangar was a popular field trip destination for school kids
in the Akron area. I still remember visiting it when I was
very young. At the time, it was the largest self-supported
structure in the world. It was so big and high inside that it
would actually rain inside the hangar. The rain was really
condensation on the roof that would drip down, but that's kinda
what rain is.

The old one is the the f'n one I'm talking about. Geez. You just
love to argue about meaningless bull****.

Geez, sensitive much? Just the facts ma'am.

No it's not the facts, it's just you arguing for the sake of arguing.
You do it all the time. You get some joy in arguing pedantic, semantic
bull****.
There are many times when you're helpful but most of the time you're
nitpicking irrelevant crap like you did with my post.

That was the hangar I was talking about but you felt the need to be a
know-it-all and butt in for some reason with irrelevant information that
didn't change a thing I wrote.

Yeah, a sensitive old git. Stop taking everything so seriously!