Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default how to determine volume of hidden vessel

On Saturday, May 6, 2017 at 10:09:36 AM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
I have an unusual problem staring at me. I'm doing maintenance of an ice skating rink, and we have decided to replace the R22 with RS-45 as part of a general upgrade. The system was full of leaks and was constantly losing significant and costly amounts of R22.

This is a liquid overfeed system and as such, the refrigerant runs through the pipes under the ice surface. These pipes are buried in concrete and nobody knows how large they are. The people who installed this are long gone, and there is zero access to the piping after the large feed and return lines enter the concrete.

I need to determine how much refrigerant we need to buy. I have heard estimates ranging from 4000 pounds to 7000 pounds from various experts in the field. That extra 3000 pounds is almost $30,000, so it would be good to get a better feel for a real number. The refrigerant pipes in a typical rink are about 10 or 11 miles long (seriously), and are (sometimes) 5/8 OD thinwall steel, but that's a variable.

The R22 has been removed from the system - unfortunately, the quantity recovered really has no bearing on the actual capacity as there had been considerable leakage.

So, given that I have a system that's shut down and pumped out, and that I can isolate the rink floor pipes from the rest of the system and there are service valves accessible, does anyone know how I might determine the volume of these pipes?

I was thinking, perhaps, of filling with nitrogen at some regulated flow rate and watching for a pressure rise and then doing some magic calculations I haven't thought about since high school. Does that make sense? can anyone offer specifics?

I'd appreciate any help any of you can offer.

Thanks.

jpb

Crap - every time I try to get started on this, another emergency comes up. I did pump ump with air, and found a couple more leaks. Hopefully, this weekend I'll get to do the actual test.