Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Just imagine... a BUILDING, made of WOOD!!

On 5/18/2017 11:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 7:57:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2017 15:39:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:37:53 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John McCoy writes:
Steve wrote in
:

Well yes I am, but seriously, this came over my LinkedIn feed today,
and is pretty cool. Newly-developed, major commercial in Minneapolis.
7 stories, 238,000 Sq. Ft. Thought I'd share.

"The foundation, core, and ground floor are concrete, but the rest of
the seven-story structure is timber, making it the largest timber
building in North America."

Good marketting PR speak, but factually untrue. The largest
timber building in NA would be one of the blimp hangers the
Navy built in WW2, of which half a dozen still exist. They
are about 10 times as large as this new building.

The hanger for the USS Macon (1933 Moffett Field) has a steel structure, which
is currently quite obvious when one drives by, since the outer
skin has been removed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangar..._California%29

The Goodyear Airdock (1929) is also steel structure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_Airdock

My family and I had the pleasure of taking off from and landing in the field next to the
Goodyear Airlock. Guess what we were flying in?

The Goodyear Blimp!

It was one of the coolest things I've ever done.

We lived in the Akron area for a year. Goodyear Blimps flew around
the area all the time.

Didja every get a free ride? :-)

One cool part is to feel them power up to land. Obviously, they have to force them to go down.

(As a kid I used to see them over NYC all the time. Never imagined that I'd ever get to go up
in one)

Houston used to have a Goodyear Blimp hanger for many years, it was not
unusual to see the blimp floating around the city.

And that reminds me of the blimp back in the early 70's in Corpus
Christi. I was in high school and played golf. I was on a newly opened
course that happened to be built on the "old airport" grounds. So no
sizeable trees yet. The blimp was being tethered there for some
promotion. Anyway while we were playing the blimp was coming in to be
tethered and I recall the front rope/line/what ever you call it, almost
dragging across the green.
It looked like the mother ship was going to squash us. It made a
certain part of you body pucker. ;~0