Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Harris[_3_] James Harris[_3_] is offline

Default Emergence of Re-leavers

In article ,
James Harris wrote:
And that really is such an important thing that you're happy to ruin the
economy over?

The Remain side got it in to their heads that Brexit would "ruin the
economy". And it still sustains them to this day. But where did such a
dire belief come from?

You've not heard May today? At last has admitted that the future of the UK
relies on a good deal after leaving the EU. Which gives me hope that with
a large majority she will be able to ignore the hardliners in her party.
And all the other UKIP nutcases too.

Just to check, where did your belief come from before today? You didn't
just see cause for alarm.

As for May, what she predicts is not gospel. Let's get that straight
first of all. She was a Remainer and still has never said that Brexit
will be better, albeit that she has accepted the result and seeks to
make the best of it.

As for the deal, there are three broad outcomes

1. A negotiated trade agreement
2. A decision to go to WTO trade
3. An acrimonious breakdown of talks

Only option 3 is "crashing out" of the EU.

Option 2 is what the EU propose (so is achievable). It is not as good as
option 1 but it is not too bad, especially since the EU accepts that
they and we would want a phased implementation.

Far worse than option 2 would be the UK accepting a punitive deal. And I
guess that's what May was warning about. She says she simply will not
accept such a deal from the EU, preferring to go to option 2 rather than
a bad option 1.

--
James Harris