Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Solar Roof Read reply Solar is joke

On 5/18/2017 5:06 PM, Diesel wrote:
mike news May 2017 18:09:54 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Dunno how the code is interpreted, but, if you have two 600V
panels connected in series inside your box, you have 1200V outside
your box and on the panels.

Nope, 1200 isn't flowing outside the unit. Circuitry inside the unit
prevents that. I'm not new at this, nor am I an idiot.

It's not rocket science. Draw a schematic with two 600V battery symbols
representing the solar panels. Connect them in series inside your black
box. Inside the box, place an X on two points attached to the panels
that have 1200V between them.
Convince me that you can't find two points outside your black box
that have 1200V between them. It'll be two of the four wires attached
to the black box. If you can't they're not in series.

You can't get more instantaneous power out of the emulator than you
can get out of the panels WITHOUT STORAGE of some kind.

I don't disagree.

Capacitors are a form of storage.

Yes they are. I wasn't aware Capacitors was considered cheating? They
aren't batteries...

cap at 1000V than you can at 48V. Problem is that high voltage
capacitor banks big enough to be useful are expensive...probably
more expensive than a 48V battery.

Well, considering that the client didn't pay for the modbox, not a
single dime, they aren't out anything. And, I already covered this
possible issue with a reply to Trader sometime ago; when he/she asked
why the solar companies weren't doing this, already.

I've had many discussions over the years with people who took a
concept they didn't fully understand, extrapolated it into a
region where it didn't apply and believed they'd invented
something.

Interesting.

In every case, they hadn't invented a new branch of
physics. They were just plain wrong. They'd neglected something
very important and their system didn't do what they thought.

I didn't claim to have invented any new branch of physics.

Do you often make such assumptions?

Yes, I do. If they can't explain the phenomenon using known laws
of physics, there has to be something new, previously unknown
going on.

Under conditions of high insolation, you certainly can run your
house without a grid or storage, until the peak load exceeds the
currently available power. Then it's over in an instant.

Unless the peak load of the house will most likely, never exceed the
systems capacity. You seem to be quick to forget, the appliances are
GAS, not electric. The 'load' for the house is essentially LED based
lighting and some home entertainment gear, oh, and a laptop and a few
tablets that for the most part, ONLY use the HOUSE to recharge.

Ok, so you've moved the battery to the device. That works. But it's
storage nonetheless. If you have adequate distributed storage in
devices to run
them without grid tie, you don't need grid tie and you're off the grid.
Good job.
Just don't try to tell me that it's a typical residential rooftop solar
system for the masses.

Let me rephrase...

That's quite alright. You've made enough assumptions and rolled with
those assumptions.

You can't build a practical solar house that most people would
accept without the grid or local storage or some other energy
source, like diesel or natural gas or pumped water or...
Energy out of a system can never exceed the energy in.
Without storage, instantaneous power out can not exceed
power in. Solar is ill-suited to applications without storage
or replacement (the grid).

It's very interesting to me how we go from, it doesn't work if the
grid is down, to, you can't do it without such and such additional
conditions. Fact is, yourself nor Trader have one of these 'Solar'
houses or wired one, and you both seem to have a problem with the
idea in general.

I've read enough, thanks.

You're welcome.