Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default A lucky find

On Thu, 18 May 2017 16:58:43 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

As far as using an ohm meter. I do understand the old analog ones are
probably not a good idea. I do have a modern digital one (not one of
those cheap HF ones). But what about using a VTVM. I may be wrong, but
it's my understanding that VTVMs are safe to use on darn near anything.
I have two of them, a Heathkit and an Eico.

(Presently the Heathkit one tends to act a bit flakey, probably needs
new caps, but the Eico works fine).

I have a Heathkit VTVM I put together over 40 years ago. I had it out a
while back just to see if it still worked. It was slightly flakey and I
gave it a shot of the Deoxit on the switches and that made it work like
it did when I built it.

I don't know what kind of current it puts out in the ohms position. I
doubt I will ever use it for anything but maybe where I need a zero
center scale meter.

That's something I should do with my Heathkit VTVM, use the Deoxit.
Maybe that is all it needs.... But I do plan to recap it anyhow. At
least the power supply lytics....

I use almost all old tube based test gear, but I normally only work on
tube stuff, so I use what matches the equipment.

Lately, I have been working on a lot of solid state stuff. I'd rather
work on tubes, but this soild state stuff is my own stuff, so I work on
it. I generally use all modern test gear on solid state equipment,
except for my old Paco tube signal tracer. That thing works on
everything and is probably my most used piece of test gear.

But I like that old tube test gear, for working on tube stuff. My
Sencore scope is solid state, but it's still quite old. I recently got
all five of the old Eico probes, plus the high voltage probe they sold.
So I am now equipped with probes for almost every need. Eico made the
best probes ever, and I really had a tough time getting all of them.
I'll probably never need the high voltage one, since I dont work on old
CRT tvs, but it came with the other probes.

All I need now, is an old 50s era panel truck so I can paint "Radio
Repair" on the sides!!!