Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Removing defective switch from PCB

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 10:07:04 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 11:51:04 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:

I don't know what this plate may be, can you Dremmel+.5mm grinding disc,
separate it from the switch and then desoldering?

Dremel
Grinding Disc
PC Boards
Thousands of tiny bits of metal

Does anyone else see a recipe for disaster here?

I keep one of these - which, despite its size, is very good at fine cuts, almost to the 'nibbling' level. And no swarf. Sharp, tough, cuts mild steel very easily.

https://www.channellock.com/data/def...-842_1-842.png

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Rather than grind, I clip all the pins and extract one at a time. It depends if you're trying to salvage the part or just want minimum damage to the board.

When removing caps from computer mother boards I sometimes have to use a hot air tool in one hand and a Metcal iron in the other for the ground pins with no thermal relief on the internal pads. My hot air tool is one of those 862D units. I use only the air part which is also an excellent heat shrink tool.