Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refinish Oak Butcher Block surface

Dave C wrote:

I would like to resurface that counter, and I am looking for
recommendations.

You might need to be careful with a scraper, the grain direction can
swap with each stave of the butcher block, so what works nicely in one
area can be a bit rough in neighbouring areas.

I've just sanded and varnished some oak butcher-block, but as a desk not
in a kitchen, used polyvine wax finish satin varnish, pleased with the
result, when it says apply sparingly it really means it, I then
literally gave it a single wipe with 0000 wire wool before a second
coat, even more sparingly.

dries in an hour or two, you are supposed to keep water splashes off it
for a few days after drying, which might be tricky in a kitchen.