Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave C[_3_] Dave C[_3_] is offline

Default Refinish Oak Butcher Block surface

We just purchased a new/used house. The kithchen counter is a ~ 5 x
10 foot (2 inch high) oak butcher block surface. With time, it now
has several "stained" spots (sorta black areas) and many scratches.

I would like to resurface that counter, and I am looking for
recommendations. Ala would one prep the surface with a cabinet (aka
card) scraper, or maybe a tool akin to a Stanley #80 scraper? Other
options.

Once the surface has been prepped, what would be a recommended surface
cover - ala a specific oil, where food prep will occur.

I am retired, so time is not a key issue. I do want the finished
surface to look nice and last.

I would be most appreciative for any/all advice -dave