Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Roof insulation: Cold call from firm that sprays closed-cell foam between roof rafters.

Well define inefficient really. Everything is relative. I'd outlaw it due to
its tendency to make you itch when you go anywhere near it.
No I'd not have any stuff like foam sprayed, if there is any damp there it
will just make it worse.
Of course that is my opinion.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Al-W" wrote in message
G'day!

Today, I had a cold sales call from a company offering to spray closed-cell
(polyurethane?) foam between my roof rafters. I thought I'd run this past
you folks, because a lot of you understand this sort of thing.

I didn't take up their offer of a free assessment for various reasons, but
some of the things the salesman claimed aroused my curiosity.

1) He claimed that the UK Govt is subsidising such work, and that if you are
retired, you qualify for the maximum subsidy. I was under the impression
that grants for insulation ended some while back. Can anyone confirm/refute
this?

2) He claimed that I would save 40% on my heating bills. I expressed
skepticism, pointing out that I had a very drafty loft, and therefore
doubted if insulating the roof would make much difference. I dare say
someone might save 40% if their loft was draft-proof and they had no
standard loft insulation already in place. Anyone agree?

3) Another thing that made me hesitate, is that I've thought about this form
of roof insulation before. It has occurred to me that spraying plastic foam
around roof timbers might not be a great idea, because roof timbers need air
circulation to prevent hazards such as rot and woodwork. Anyone agree?

4) The salesman also claimed that the Govt is going to outlaw glass fibre
loft insulation because it has been discovered that it's inefficient. This
sounded like nonsense to me. Anyone agree?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and insights on this.

Al