Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rickman rickman is offline

Default A lucky find

On 5/18/2017 3:02 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 2:18:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:

As far as using an ohm meter. I do understand the old analog ones are
probably not a good idea. I do have a modern digital one (not one of
those cheap HF ones). But what about using a VTVM. I may be wrong, but
it's my understanding that VTVMs are safe to use on darn near anything.
I have two of them, a Heathkit and an Eico.

Whoooo Boy! I can think of no reason whatsoever that one should ever use a VTVM in these modern times. Sure, loading a Zenith TransOceanic while performing an alignment via a VTVM makes some of the things go 'by the book', but using a regular high-quality VOM is just fine. Better in many cases. Nor would I ever advocate using a mains-connected VTVM on much audio stuff in any case. Nor do I appreciate them as ancient tools. I do not have enough real-estate on my bench to entertain tools that are not useful.

You are addressing someone who *just* discovered nanofarads. Consider
his state of mind.

--

Rick C