Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones[_3_] Chris Jones[_3_] is offline

Default Removing defective switch from PCB

On 17/05/2017 23:02, bitrex wrote:
I have a Behringer EQ that has a bad front panel switch. It looks to be
a standard 3 pin SPDT type, surrounded by a metal bracket that holds it
fast to the PCB.

I've been having a lot of difficulty removing it from this PCB with
plated-through holes for replacement; it's resisted all my attempts to
pry it out using an iron/solder sucker or solder wick. I don't own a hot
air station unfortunately - any tips here?

If you have a hardware store type hot air gun with closed-loop
temperature control then you may be able to use that. I recently had to
use one set to 340 deg C to get a connector off, and that was one pin at
a time. I needed the hot air gun again in one hand, to get the solder to
melting point to clean out the holes with one of those desoldering irons
in the other hand (with the vacuum pump). Even filling up the holes with
leaded solder only made it slightly easier, but I could still not get
some holes to melt right through with any soldering iron (including a
Metcal with a very large, very hot tip), even with the board on a hotplate.