Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A lucky find

On Thursday, 18 May 2017 19:18:08 UTC+1, wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2017 10:56:05 -0400, Michael Black wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2017, wrote:

Good article on that website listed. I have two turntables. The cheap
one has a non-removable (as far as I know) cartridge. I dont have a
cartridge number, but its an AIWA turntable, and takes an AN-11 stylus.
The good turntable has an Audio Technica AT5011E. I also have a spare
cartridge from way back, (new in the box), Electro Voice V100.

I'm pretty sure the Audio Technica and the Electro Voice are both MM.
Probably the AIWA one too, unless thats a crystal or ceramic.

I imagine there is a place to look them up, but I have not yet tried to
find a website that lists them.

It's easy to tell magnetic from ceramic. Magnetic styli are in a squarish plastic piece that slides out - or rarely in the case of one of the AT unclips downward. Ceramic styli are unencased, and clip in. Old ones have a flipover sidearm to select from 2 needles, typically LP & 78.

The other way to tell them is to wobble the arm slightly when playing. Magnetics let the arm/needle wobble, ceramics don't.

As far as using an ohm meter. I do understand the old analog ones are
probably not a good idea. I do have a modern digital one (not one of
those cheap HF ones). But what about using a VTVM. I may be wrong, but
it's my understanding that VTVMs are safe to use on darn near anything.
I have two of them, a Heathkit and an Eico.

totally pointless.

Not to mention..... Both the AT and the EV have FOUR wires coming from
them, but when they exit the turntable, they only have TWO (as in RCA
plugs). What are the other two wires for?????

Each RCA plus has 2 conductors, outer and inner.

NT