Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M[_5_] Dave M[_5_] is offline

Default A lucky find

wrote:

It turned out this was my lucky day. This preamp sounds great. (And I
didn't even connect it to my main power amp yet, I just connected it
to a small mono guitar amp that I use for testing stuff in the shop.
It needed a little contact cleaner on the selector switches, but works
great.

I am a little confused though about the phone switch.
It has the following selections:

MM (Moving Magnet)
47K
100K

MC (Moving Coil)
10 ohm
30 ohm
100 ohm

Ok, I understand what they are saying, but how do I know if my
cartridge is MM or MC, and what the resistance rating is?

This appears to be a real useful thing, but I never even knew there
were different kinds of cartridges. In the past, I just installed a
cartridge and plugged it into "Phono".

Take a look at the description at
http://www.needledoctor.com/core/med... f8&_xt=.html.
That should get you going on the differences and why you would choose one
over the other. Basically, it's a choice based on your listening habits and
the type of sound you want from your system.

Dave M