Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Bloody customers

On 16/05/2017 23:43, Trevor Wilson wrote:
The N. Cook thread got me to thinking about some of the worst customers
I've had in this business. The one that sticks in my mind turned up back
in around 1982-ish. I had been operating my business for about 2 years,
after serving as service manager for Marantz Australia.

Anyway, this guy (let's call him Mr Jones) turns up with his Marantz
turntable for repair. At that time, it was close to 7 years old and in
pretty decent condition. Naturally, there were the usual fine scratches
on the lid, which inevitably occur with acrylic covers. No deep
scratches and the timber was in good nick. He did not supply the
turntable in it's original packing box as clearly recommended in the
Marantz manual.

A few weeks later, job done and I called the customer to collect his
turntable. Cost was around AUS$100.00. As was/is my practice with
turntables, after the job was completed, it was stored on a carpeted
rack, with 200mm spacing, so nothing can ever be placed on top of any
turntables stored within. Subsequent to my 'phone call a man I did not
recognise turned up to collect the turntable for Mr Jones several weeks
later. I asked to see the job ticket, which was duly presented.
Satisfied, I retrieved the turntable. Mr Smith looked at the turntable
and pointed out the (very) fine scratches and claimed that they were new
(they clearly were not). I explained as much and Mr Smith said that he
would not pay for the repair and I told him that he would not be able to
collect the turntable.

2 weeks later, I received a letter from Mr Jones demanding that I supply
a new cover, which was available from Marantz for AUS$375.00. I sent a
letter back to Mr Jones explaining the following:

* I did not damage the cover.
* Although I did not damage the cover, if he wanted his turntable to be
kept in perfect condition, that he should carry it around in it's
original packing box.
* Mr Jones had not yet sighted his own turntable and was relying on the
claim of one of his employees!

Additionally, I cited the NSW Uncollected Goods Act, which allows a
repair agent the right to sell uncollected jobs, after 90 days, provided
all possible efforts are made to contact the owner/s.

Mr Jones turned up a week later with the cash to collect his turntable,
whereupon I explained that I did not wish to conduct any further
business with him. Ever.

FWIW: I have retained repairs for as long as 2 years, waiting for
customers to collect their jobs.

A large Roland Cube that bounced back about 6 times.
Always the same reported problem of severe distortion on the lowest
notes. The most difficult of repair jobs, finding a non-existent fault.
Owner used this amp for his acoustic bass, as very light but could
accomadate the double-bass notes.
A serious case of RTFM.
He was not interested in chorus,flange, amp types , just a basic
amplifier , so except for volume and gain and tone he turned all the
controls fully anticlockwise. That position on the mode? switch was
octave bass.