Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Removing defective switch from PCB

On 17/05/2017 15:05, bitrex wrote:
On 05/17/2017 09:32 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 9:25:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 May 2017 14:02:59 UTC+1, bitrex wrote:
I have a Behringer EQ that has a bad front panel switch. It looks to be
a standard 3 pin SPDT type, surrounded by a metal bracket that holds it
fast to the PCB.

I've been having a lot of difficulty removing it from this PCB with
plated-through holes for replacement; it's resisted all my attempts to
pry it out using an iron/solder sucker or solder wick. I don't own a
hot
air station unfortunately - any tips here?

With PTH you need to get lots of heat into the board - removing
solder achieves the opposite. Put the sucker & braid away and solder
it, then you can heat one pin at a time and bend the board ever so
slightly, and slowly walk it out. Yes, it's slow. No, you mustn't
overheat anything.

NT

Not a good plan IMO - if it's just a top and bottom conductor board,
maybe. But if it's a multi layer I wouldn't try it. That kind of
manipulation can cause a detachment of a middle layer conductor that
would be tough to solve without a schematic or an identical board to
trace out.

But you're correct about heat. When working on multi layer boards
that require multiple through the hole pin extraction, I preheat the
board to 125C and let it soak 15 minutes. Add some liquid flux and
solder removal techniques are usually effective.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have a schematic available fortunately;
I'll have to take a closer look at the board but since it's Behringer my
guess is that a double-sided board at most heh heh ;-)

I don't know what this plate may be, can you Dremmel+.5mm grinding disc,
separate it from the switch and then desoldering?