Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Are Non-Polarized Caps (in speaker crossovers) Electrolytics?

On Tuesday, 16 May 2017 16:00:11 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 10:45:59 AM UTC-4, tabby wrote:

What failure mode are you proposing?

Pick one:

a) Overheating.

I'm not seeing why resistances at least as large would overheat. It's only to replace 3 watters.

b) Corrosion at the solder/crimp joints. Nichrome does not solder well.

There's nichrome, constantan, stainless steel, manganin. FWIW. Constantan solders well.

c) Mechanical damage or/due to poor connections. Those materials introduce a 'technique' issue that inevitably leads to failures.

It seems you have more experience than I do on this. I just know that crimped red hot heating elements run happily for decades before dying. And I presumed at much lower temps they'd be much happier.

d) Excessive variability between speakers. Resistors are a manufactured item that can be used without much thought. Each piece of nichrome would have to be measured and cut - by someone. And then, not mixed up one-to-another as they would be difficult to label individually.

you think these are problems?

These speakers did undertake a sea voyage from Denmark to wherever, so damp salty air would be a passing thought as well.

yes. OTOH they're inside a closed cabinet.

NT