Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupidity of design. Rant Warning!

On 2017-05-15, robobass wrote:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wysAAO...VN/s-l1600.jpg

I am in a metric country, but I'm sure the principal applies in North
America as well.

This is a very common socket kit here. There are many brands, many
manufacturers, all are basically the same. The box is very useful,
except for one incredible annoyance. The sockets go in 1mm increments
from maybe 4 or 5 up to 14mm. No one has ever used the 14mm socket,
ever. Why wouldn't they leave it off, and use a 15mm socket in that last
place instead?

Well ... in the kit which I have, which comes with a ratchet
with both 1/4" drive and 3/8" drive (what drive sizes are used in metric
countries?), the 1/4" drive sockets go up through 12 mm, and after that
in 3/8" drive are 13 mm, 14 mm, 15 mm and 17 mm.

Also -- things made in different countries tend to favor
different sizes -- Japanese is different from say French. And who knows
when you might need to make something for which 13 mm is too small, and
15 mm is too large. Maybe not a nut nor a bolt, but perhaps something
for adjusting something's orientation or position.

And, why don't other people ask a questions like this?

Because I have not seen the "problem" as a problem. My original
set was individual components, not neatly boxed, up through 19 mm with
3/8" drive. I like no gaps in my sets, which makes my first set
preferred over the boxed set (which also includes fractional inch sizes
as well as metric sizes, FWIW.) For that matter, 8 mm and 16 mm could
be skipped in a mixed set, as 5/16" and 5/8" are a close match.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail