Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupidity of design. Rant Warning!

On Mon, 15 May 2017 09:55:07 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

OK. You guys have got me on the 14mm socket thing. Never saw that coming! But now explain this:
I have two little kids. In all of the cars I have owned in the last 20 years except one, there
were seat belts for three passengers in the back. The receiver for the center seat belt and a
side one were adjacent and visually nearly indistinguishable, but not interchangeable. The
inconvenience of having to get the belt around a child seat and blindly find the seat belt
receiver is in itself a chore. Getting it wrong on the first try and having to fish for the
other one is just punishment. There is absolutely no reason for a bias. The receivers mount
right next to each other, and can easily be overlapped during use. Explain this one to me.

If you look at it logically, the 2 sides are opposite, so the middle
one will be at odds with one or the other, so it doesn't matter which
way it goes, belt or receiver. So, they made the middle one a
different size, one side getting two receivers. It was probably a
legal decision so the button was on the correct side for the
passenger, facing away from them, and preventing overlap which would
lead to one undoing the other's belt inadvertently.

--
In today’s academia and mainstream media,
we’re all guilty of hate until proven leftist.

--Robert Knight, senior fellow, American Civil Rights Union